Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Help!!!



Does anyone know why my machine might be doing this? I'm free motion quilting and using Coats and Clark white thread. The top thread breaks after a few stipples. It's like it thins out and eventually breaks. I've changed my needle, adjusted the tension up and down (when I adjusted down a #, the bottom threads were super loose), changed to a different type thread, oiled the gears....what is going on? Any other suggestions? I know in free motion quilting the tension should be lowered some- how low do you usually go?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. I have never free motion quilted so I don't know exactly. But the times my machine acts strange it's always something simple that I forgot. Is your bobbin in good? Sometimes mine gets loose and the top thread gets caught on it and breaks. Is the machine threaded correctly - has the thread slipped somewhere?

    I wish I could help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My guess is that your machine doesn't like the Coats and Clark thread. I have to admit that my experiences trying to quilt with C&C thread have been very bad. I would suggest switching to a better brand like Gutermann.

    Also, my experience has been that FMQ works better when tension is increased slightly, not decreased.

    Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, y'all. I decided to take a break from the quilt today. Instead I made a dress. My machine decided it liked making the dress so maybe tomorrow it will decide to like quilting!!!

    ReplyDelete